Packing to Move House: Our Moving House Packing Tips
How do you pack to move house? Read our top moving house packing tips to make your move less stressful and more organised.
1. Get the right packing materials
Before you get packing, make sure you have all the packing materials you need for your move. This includes:
✅ Furniture wrap
✅ Labels and markers
✅ Packing tape
✅ Bubble wrap
✅ Old newspapers
2. Start early
Never underestimate how long the packing process will take! We recommend you start preparing 1-2 months in advance. Check out our moving house checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything!
3. List all your items
Make sure that you know which items to throw away, which items to store and which to pack. You will also want to list which items are high and low priority for packing. For example, if you move in the winter you won’t need your summer clothes until after the move.
4. Get rid of what you don’t need
The less you take with you, the less your move will cost – plus the easier it is to pack. You can even make a profit if you sell your items on websites such as Gumtree, or you can give them away for free on Freecycle or at a charity shop.
Tip! Figure out how large your move currently is with our furniture volume calculator.
5. Prepare a box of the essentials
This box will be filled with the things you need immediately after your move, and will need to be easily accessible. This box should include items such as:
- First aid kit
- Important documentation (passports, moving company confirmation, etc)
6. Pack one room at a time
Start with the room that you use the least, and make this room your ‘packing station’, filled with all your moving boxes and packing supplies.
7. Label all your boxes
Say which room each box belongs in, so the removal company will know where to put them. Don’t forget to also mark boxes as ‘fragile’ if need be!
8. Pack smart
Don’t overfill your boxes but also don’t leave empty gaps or pack air. Any boxes heavier than 30 pounds could put your back out!
Tip! Fill drawers and cupboard with smaller items to save on space!
9. Protect fragile items
If you are packing glasses or any breakables, make sure that you protect them with bubble wrap and padding. Therefore you should keep in mind the following suggestions for packing fragile items:
- Big items can be wrapped in towels and blankets
- Wrap mirror using tape and cardboard
- Wrap lamps in bubble wrap or newspaper
- Cover glass and the ends of desks with cardboard
10. Load the truck carefully
If you are packing the moving truck yourself, make sure the heaviest boxes go on the bottom layer of the truck. In addition, fragile items such as mirrors should be placed between soft items. Furthermore, bigger items such as furniture should be packed horizontally.
Want to read more advice on moving house? Take a look at our other articles from Sirelo:
- Top 8 International Removalists: Find out the best moving company for your international move
- Container Shipping Costs: Read on to get up to date on container shipping costs
- Moving Overseas Checklist: Don’t miss a thing for your international move
- International Removal Costs: Moving internationally? Check out our guide for international removal costs
Last updated: 27-09-2019