Grace Removals Group
About Grace Removals Group
Grace Removals Group offers home, corporate and commercial moving services, and their staff continue to train in specialised areas of relocation, including fine art and international relocations, all while preserving their long history of quality customer service.
Type of Removalist
ReviewsWrite a review
A word about Google reviews which are misleading. The clear majority of reviews in the last year or two are negative. Two years ago and earlier they received good reviews. Google re-print the two-year-old reviews on the page people read.
Grace are lovely at first and the Canberra senior salesman is charming.
The end result is:
• My solid oak extendable dining table was packed on end in the container. It arrived with the corner smashed. A couple of chairs now have loose joins. A $20,000 dining suit is now rubbish.
• A leather cushion from the lounge suit is missing. Impossible to replace. Lounge is no longer made. Now the whole lounge suit has no value.
• Boxes were broken and the items re-packed in those blue and red striped packing bags. Items are missing, and two very nice small items.
• 3 boxes are missing and not ticked off on the inventory. Lots of our kitchen items and stereo are gone.
• Paid extra for large and fragile artworks to be packed in wooden crates. Did not notice not written in contract. Also not done.
• Paid $000’s to send over car and have registered. No item written on the inventory/contract. We did not notice. There is a general clause in the Terms and Conditions. Arrived here to find out Grace do not have a service to register cars.
• In reply to the emails with pictures of the damage there has been silence. More emails and no reply.
• They have a double-act going with their insurance company. Insurance responded that as we do not have a policy with them the claim is rejected.
o This is wrong of them. The liability is with Grace and if they choose to insure or bear the cost is up to Grace.
In my opinion and my experience:
• Grace will not support you getting all aspects of the job written down.
• They will rely on only complying with the written words in the inventory and contract regardless of the discussions and general expectations of the service.
• They will not acknowledge the claim, not give a reference number, and not address the likely causes of the damage.
• Grace will delay discussion and avoid the claim in the knowledge most people will give up.
• Google reviews are given the attention of the customer service representative who just keeps me busy with an irrelevant servicing process.
In my opinion some actions to reduce your risks can include:
• Write down dot point notes as you discuss your job. Photocopy and staple to the contract and write on contract “attachment included.” I doubt you will have time for neatly type-written and printed notes.
• Use two people with different ways of thinking in collaboration when discussing the job. One person with the objective and sounding out the company representative and another with an eye for logic and detail are good. If you married to one or the other you are in luck.
• I think men can find this just as stressful as women but respond in a different way.
• Shop around for insurance for the ship transport and port. In my opinion Grace has a far too close relationship with their insurer to look after the consumer. For such an expensive purchase, 25% of the move, you might have luck and find a different attitude from a different company.
• Industry-wide practices of close insurance relationships, and dodging claims is for our political leaders to become involved with.
My wife and I have moved with furniture many times before, e.g. Denmark>USA, USA>Australia and Australia>Denmark, so we know how things work and what you can expect and not expect.
Before the move:
Friendly, funny and competent service, and prompt answers to our questions. It all felt very safe with Grace and we therefore decided to move ahead with them, while turning down offers from slightly more expensive moving companies.
After this the warning signs started; very slow email replies, our contact person was always OOO, we couldn’t get time with Grace to understand and discuss our insurance needs, and a Danish referral Grace tried to contact to talk about his experience with Grace never replied.
Good thing was that we had paid AUD300 to get a specially designed casing to protect our most expensive and beloved furniture - a marble coffee table, bought for USD+2,500 in the US while we were living there.
During the pick-up move in Australia:
The movers were 3 hours late and didn’t give any notice about this. Only two men showed up and the 5 hour time pick-up estimate ended up taking closer to 10 hours. That meant that we got our cleaning appointment later in the day canceled and had to rebook flight tickets to Sydney. This despite that Grace had visited our place, took pictures and noted down everything we wanted to move.
Worst thing here was that our contact person at Grace didn’t care at all - which in that situation is very stressful and you can’t really do much as you have placed all your trust in them.
The move in Denmark and after:
We got our things back to Denmark, and a third party Grace partner moving company stepped in. We (my wife and I) ended up helping all day with carrying moving boxes to the fourth floor, again due to a miscalculation from Grace’s side re. time needed. We were completely exhausted by 10PM after a full day of moving, even though we had paid to avoid doing any work ourselves.
BUT THE WORST THING - our beloved marble table was broken into two pieces, and with no chance of repairing it in any way. And then we truly got to see the worst side of Grace. Due to a misspelling(!) (and we are not native in English) related to the marble table in the insurance contract, Grace refused to compensate more than AUD900. Grace didn’t even care about the fact that we had pointed out again and again that we really wanted the best protection of our marble table and we needed help with the insurance contract… Grace didn’t even offer to compensate us for the cost of the casing.
After a few emails about the marble table and insurance, replied by Grace in such a rude and arrogant way, they just stopped replying to our emails. So now we have a worthless marble table, AUD900 to pay for a new coffee table with cost and shipping cost well-excending USD3,000 - and tonnes of frustrations and the feeling that we got tricked.
It’s not about the compensation, but it’s the feeling of disrespect and ‘Goliath against the Giant’ with even the best arguments not being enough.
It is the worst feeling ever, and we can therefore with all of our hearts, travel experience and manners recommend that you stay far, far away from Grace Removals.
Feel free to contact us with any questions, we want to make sure you don’t experience the same as we did; [email protected]
Spoke to AQIS decision and was told it was fine to have figure posted back to the UK. Grace refused even though that is the law and they held my other goods hostage. Had to pay to have a sentimental item destroyed. Clearly a scam.
And when my goods did arrive, two items were broken that had been professionally packed by the movers. DO NOT USE THEM. Dishonest.
I have 27 boxes (yes 27 boxes) undelivered and no explanation as to why they cannot be located . They contain many irreplaceable personal items.
Although covered by insurance the missing items are only of value to myself and my family and as such are irreplaceable.
I have been assured they will be delivered if and when located but I am still waiting.
The items were in storage for 6 months before delivery and one would have expected that they would be kept together.
Some items were broken of those that were delivered.
I would never use Grace again nor would I recommend them.
The Sydney crew came to pack up the items and while they did a pretty good job, two issues started to ring alarm bells. Firstly, the movers came to start the packing at 1330 H, after another house pack-up that morning. Apparently, they were not informed that they were packing up a 4-bedroom house with a full gym in the garage. That forced them to work until 2000 H to get everything packed up. Secondly, when the movers were almost finished packing up the first 20-foot container, we enquired as to where the other container was. We were told that they did not know and that it was late in the afternoon and they may have to send another crew to complete the move the next day. When we contacted the BDM, he stated that he did not know if another container was scheduled. Eventually, a medium-sized moving truck was dispatched and picked up the rest of the items.
Then the cleaning crew arrived the following day and were surprised to learn that they would have to clean the horizontal blinds, even though I had emailed the list of cleaning requirements to the sales rep a whole week before. We were then told that, in order to add this cleaning to their scope of work, we would be charged an extra $150, which was paid immediately.
Due to the speed of the move, ended up taking an apartment which could not fit all our items. When the sales rep was informed of the delivery address, we were again charged an extra $450 for “difficult access at delivery”. As before, this was paid immediately.
We took a storage unit for the remainder of the items and was told that we would have to pay an extra $990 to split the delivery. And again, this was paid immediately.
Originally, we were given a delivery date of December 2nd, which was perfect for us as it would be one week after pack-up. We were told that it arrived in Darwin on that date, however, it could not be delivered until December 7th because of congestion due to a lot of volume going through the Darwin facility. So, we asked that the delivery be reshuffled in the yard into what was coming to the apartment and what was going to the storage unit. We were told that this was no problem. A day before the delivery was to be made, however, we received a call that the delivery would have to be postponed to December 18th because of our request for the reshuffle. We called the sales rep who stated that there was nothing that he could do but give me the contact for the Darwin facility manager. One call to this guy and he had it all sorted to deliver on the initial date of December 7th.
When the delivery was made on December 7th , approximately a third of my items were missing. They stated that the second container had not arrived and when it did, it would be delivered ASAP. Found quite a few items damaged: bar stool broken, dining room chairs gouged, bed headboard / footboard / rails ripped and water cooler leaking, to name a few. We saw that a lot of items that were carefully wrapped at pickup were found unwrapped at delivery, which contributed to the damage. Since we had only insured the big-ticket items such as TVs, washer, dryer, and dishwasher, we were not reimbursed for any damaged items.
When the second delivery was made on December 18th , 10% of our items were still missing. When we enquired, the Darwin site manager gave us the full story; the shipment had been put into three containers in Sydney. No reason was given for this and we were not informed of this from the outset.
We had the final delivery on December 24th and still, a few items were missing; most likely from being missed when the other containers were sent to their customers. These were picked up at the Darwin facility by us early January.
To summarise my rating of Grace:
• Speed of quote
• Range of services
• Hard-working and under-appreciated delivery personnel
• Price and pricing adjustments
• Slow and inadequate progress updates
• Apparent coordination issues between departments / facilities
• Yard personnel appear to have much less duty-of-care than their delivery counterparts.
[Name removed by Sirelo], the moving consultant was very proactive and helpful. Ceva who were subcontractors to move the vehicle deserve 0 stars.
I chose them for this reason even though they were $3000 dollars more expensive than the next quote. I was trying to minimize the stress for my partner. What was delivered was an absolute mess and achieved the opposite of what I was paying extra to avoid.
Our belongings arrived in Adelaide but that was the total and only value of this move. The handling and management of the move was disastrous from Go to Woah.
It was perhaps among the most stressful experiences I have ever had. Here is a list;
- Quote process lacked detailed explanations of services included/excluded
- pre-pack boxes not delivered
- Grace's pre-pack up crew was hours late and did not complete the pre-pack properly. No phone call to advise us that they would be late we had to chase them to see where they were. Sitting around for ages just wondering and waiting.
- Grace pre-pack crew stuffed expensive our suits and leather/luxury item clothing into small boxes as the porta robes were not delivered.
- Uplift truck and crew were hours late, no call to advise. Frustrating as we had cordoned off space on the street and we were inconveniencing the other residents. Again sitting around, wasted hours, no communication.
- Grace crew complained that the pre-pack crew had not finished not their job.
- Move estimator had underestimated the load so they had to send for another truck. Eventually left the house on the day of the move at 8pm. 3 hours late.
- on the day of car pick up Grace truck was over nowhere to be seen so we rang and rang and rang and no one got back to us. The car pick up truck did not arrive at all. They then tried to blame us for this because we had changed the pickup address with them several days earlier. The funny thing was the truck didn't go to either place so classic case of shifting to the customer which is an absolute discredit to Grace.
- Grace cleaners were over 3 hours late with no phone call to advise.
-They did a poor job and our real estate agent refused to release our bond. Grace did remedy this with a clean they paid for.
- Then on the day of the delivery Grace advised us that an approximately 1/3 portion of our load had been left in Sydney and that it wouldn't be delivered for another week. We had received no previous advice of this and it was a very unpleasant surprise.
- We also discovered that our fridge and been dismantled by the removalists for no apparent reason as it went into the house without dismantling. They did this without permission and they damaged the fridge in the process. Replacement parts have to be ordered. After 2 weeks the fridge is still not serviceable.
Overall the this was a very poorly managed move. It lacked coordination, communication, and adequate supervision. To the most extent, many excuses placing blame on the customer has been offered. Seemingly no one at Grace had overall responsibility and at key moments, when things were going wrong no one could be contacted. It was also apparent that the Grace staff were not talking to each other and handing off different parts and facets of the move to each other.
Avoidance of the management stuff-ups and lack of 'doing what you say you're going to do and turning up at least in some proximity to the appointed time is the value that I was most keen to purchase. There was no such value at all in this move.
What has compounded the frustration is when Grace offers excuses like 'well you changed the pick-up address' as a reason the car pickup did not occur. You know when they start talking like this and they actually start telling themselves that this is a valid excuse for failure that you are wasting your time trying to get something resolved. They accepted the change, which was made days in advance so even suggesting this is somehow our fault is an insult to my intelligence.
I couldn't be less happy with this experience. It was terrible, just awful I can't endorse Grace at all.
This was disappointing to arrive to see this not done . We had 2 follow up calls from Grace , I explained to them our issues they seemed concerned but 2 weeks later still no one has got back to us.
It required a two day move with items in storage and two motorbikes. Day 1 packing team decided to take it easy and knock off at 2.30pm which meant there was two much work for Day 2. One of the packers had bad attitude; would not collapse shelving that we were told would be collapsed, had to be reminded several times to go back and pack rooms and items that had not been put on the truck. We then discovered that items had been missed from the inventory or were put down as 'owner packed' because they couldn't be bothered repacking items we had put into boxes for storage. This was a nightmare when it came to The Ministry of Primary Industries inspection with us having to double guess what these 'owner packed' items were.
The Good: We received our goods in New Zealand within 5 weeks and the receiving team in New Zealand were awesome, transferring our contents into another storage container on a temporary property.
The Bad - Grace management did not acknowledgement any concerns i raised about the competency of the packing team. We paid for the full package that included full unpacking of our goods into a new premise and removal of all packaging materials. However, we moved our items into another storage container on a family's property, so we did not make use of this. I sent several emails to Grace management querying the cost we had paid for a full service that we did not use as well as our inability to check for damaged items and and any proceeding insurance claims. They did not respond to any of my emails.
All in all I got the feeling that once the company had got your service it was a matter of getting the job done with zero care factor.
Three bedroom house - cost $17, 0000 for full service of unpacking goods in new premise and removal of packaging materials.
I engage them to move some very expensive furniture including marble and art works- they promised they were experts and they would arrange crates and specialist art removalists - they completely failed - no special crates turned up - art specialist were simply young kids with no experience - they then broke my marble table worth $4500 then stuffed me around and would not pay proper compensation for weeks - don’t ever risk a move with this company they will completely screw it up and management will stuff you around simply to screw you over
We’ve contacted their customer service department several times to find out where our belongings are, and they have promised to get back to us. We have received no return communication. They have not called, emailed or messaged us a single time. We have been completely ignored.
Their brand promise is that “At Grace, our team is committed to making your move as stress-free as possible.” They did the complete opposite.
Interestingly, other negative reviews here have been replied to almost immediately by Grace. We’re intrigued how quickly they respond to this review. It’ll be the first time they have contacted us whatsoever.
Would not ever recommend using this company. Unless you want to make your move as stressful as possible.
Once I was in Europe, their partner sent me their booklet with the documentation they required and the service they provided. Since it was mention that their service included delivery to ground floor I wanted to confirm that in my case I had paid for delivery to a different level than ground floor. A week before delivery, I received an email saying that in my case indeed all charges were included and that I would receive my goods a week later.
However, 4 days before delivery I received an invoice mentioning that I had to pay additional difficult access charges for the amount of 500€. No kidding! I already paid for difficult access charges, I asked to confirm that it was all good, it was confirmed, and then they asked before delivery to get 500€ otherwise my goods were not going to be delivered. I asked then for a breakdown of such charges and I am still waiting for it!
While waiting for a breakdown of the extra charges - which was promised to be sent before payment - I received an email just before COB of the day before delivery saying that the goods were not going to be delivered the following day as I did not settle the invoice.
They expected me to pay something without any breakdown! I paid in a position of total defenselessness after reading such extortion and my goods got delivered 10 days later!
Highly unprofessional and very disappointing!
Gentleman comes and gives a quote (a Mr [name removed by Sirelo])- quotes, or shall I say deliberately severely under quotes/underestimate items to fit in a 2o feet container. When they have your acceptance and money close to the move they will say your items are no way going to fit into a 20 ft container as per THEIR original quote. At this stage you are desperate and its too late to change company and they basically have you by the short and curlys. They will then charge you extortionate amount to get the job done (40% more!!). Also their packers, who were very nice, will deliberately under fill boxes so that your items do not fit into the space quoted. Should have seen in coming but I didn't as I have never had any such experience= even with their UK partners Doree Bonner who were fantastic. Gutted and left a very bitter after taste that I will remember for ever- absolutely disgusting guise for a legitimate company and nothing short of organised criminals. This sort of thing does not help the industry.
Great communication and help during the assessment phase. Then all down hill.
Turned up 6 hours late on pack up truck day (packers the day before we very good however).
Goods arrived at destination and waited 73 days before they can deliver. Excuses made on customs but not communication was given. Had to follow up 3 times each week before a response was given which was very vague. Asked for ongoing communication so I didn’t have to chase but was never received. Had to chase for information each time.
Final straw was charged unknown and extra costs for handling and storage which was Grace’s fault for delayed delivery.
Fantastic service, the whole processing was polite, honest, reliable, calm, immediate and professional. Even the packing team was a pleasure to work with. I am impressed with the accuracy of the labelling. Have relocated internationally several times, this was the best company I have used.
The Auckland office has been awful, little contact and delivery timeframe advised has been far exceeded. We have yet to receive our shipment a month after arriving in NZ